Networking is an important part of running a successful business. Whether you’re looking to expand your client base or build new relationships, these tips will help you connect with others in your industry and grow your business.
- Know Your Audience. The first step to building a network is knowing who you want to reach. For example, if you’re trying to sell your services to other entrepreneurs, you might focus on connecting with other small businesses. If you’re targeting corporate clients, you might look for opportunities to connect with marketing managers at large companies. Once you’ve identified your audience, you can use social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ to find them. You can also search online directories such as Yelp, Yellow Pages, and Citysearch.
- Connect In Person. One of the best ways to build a network is to get out there and meet people in person. If you want to be able to connect with other professionals, consider joining professional associations. These groups often offer free membership, which means you won’t have to pay to attend events or conferences. In a world of online meetings and virtual workspaces, an in-person connection will make a lasting impression.
- Be Prepared. Before you start meeting people, make sure you’ve got some things prepared. You’ll need to bring something to share (like a business card), as well as a pen and paper so you can take notes. Also, think about what questions you might ask during your conversations. If you’re having trouble coming up with questions, try asking yourself “What would I ask my friends?”
- Listen. When you first get started in business, you might feel overwhelmed by the number of people who want to talk to you. If you tend to be more introverted or are new to networking, this may seem like too much to take on, but if you take the time to listen to what other people are interested in, you’ll find that there’s a lot of common ground between you and them. Don’t worry about being nervous. Just go into each conversation with an open mind and listen carefully.
- Be Yourself. If you are going to network, then be yourself. Don’t try to act like someone else or feel pressure to present your company as more advanced or profitable than it is. Instead, be genuine and authentic. This will help you form business relationships that you are excited about and that have a better chance of lasting and yielding results.
When it comes to networking, there’s no one right way to go about it. Some people prefer to meet people at events while others prefer to network online. The best thing to do is find what works best for you.