The media industry has changed dramatically in recent years. Consumers now have access to a wide variety of digital devices that allow them to watch movies, listen to music, read books, play games, and much more on demand. We have entered an era where people are consuming content on their own terms and in their own time.
While there are many factors that affect media consumption, the pandemic had a major influence on media trends. Americans watched more television than ever, were using their smartphones more, and streaming subscriptions skyrocketed over the past few years. While we are no longer confined to our homes as a result of the Covid pandemic, our media consumption habits have certainly shifted.
Here are five media trends that have become a hallmark of 2022:
- Mobile apps. As mobile devices become more powerful, we will see more apps being developed for them. This trend has been growing since the early 2000s when smartphones first became available. Now, there are hundreds of thousands of apps available for download.
- Voice search. In addition to apps, voice search is also becoming increasingly popular. It allows users to speak into their device rather than type out words. Google now estimates that 50% of searches are done by voice.
- Video streaming. In addition to traditional television channels, streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others are becoming increasingly popular. These services offer a wide range of programming, including original series, documentaries, and even live events.
- Virtual reality and artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence (AI) has been used in various industries for years. However, as we enter the next decade, AI will become more prevalent across multiple industries. As AI becomes more advanced, it will continue to improve our lives.
- Social video. In recent years, social video has grown in popularity among influencers and marketers. This trend is expected to continue into the future. As consumers become increasingly comfortable sharing videos on social networks, brands are taking advantage of this new medium to connect with customers.